Enrico Ronchi is a Senior lecturer at the Divsion of Fire Safety Engineering, Lund University. His research specialities include evacuation modelling and human behaviour in fire in complex infrastructures such as transportation systems (e.g., tunnels), high-rise buildings, etc. and large-scale evacuation scenarios (Wildland-urban interface fires, city evacuation, festivals, etc.).
Enrico Ronchi has collaborated in several research projects with International institutions such as the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), the Fire Protection Research Foundation of the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), Imperial College (UK), Waseda University (Japan), University of Würzburg, University of Cantabria, etc. Enrico has authored more than 150 publications in the field of evacuation modelling and fire safety science. He is an Associate Editor of the journal Fire Technology published by Springer in conjunction with the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) and the Society of Fire Protection Engineers (SFPE), Associate Editor of Safety Science by Elsevier, and member of the editorial board of the European Magazine of the Society of Fire Protection Engineering. Enrico is also the leader of a task group of the International Standards Organization (ISO) on the validation of evacuation models and he is part of the SFPE Committee on Tall Buildings.
- Ph.D. in Transportation, Land Use and Technological Innovation, Politecnico di Bari (2012)
- M.Sc. in Transportation Engineering, Politecnico di Bari, Italy (2008)
- B.Sc. in Civil Engineering, Politecnico di Bari, Italy (2006)
- Guest researcher at the Department of Mechanical Engineering at Imperial College London, UK (2017)
- Guest researcher at Waseda University, Japan (2017)
- Guest researcher at the Fire Research Division, National Institute of Standards and Technology, USA (2012, 2013, 2014)
- Guest researcher at the Department of Psychology, University of Würzburg, Germany (2013)
- Researcher at the Department of Fire Safety Engineering and Systems Safety, Lund University, Sweden (2011, 2012)
- Visiting Ph.D. student at the GIDAI Group, University of Cantabria, Spain (2008, 2009, 2010)
Evacuation Modelling, Human Behaviour in Fire, Fire Safety Engineering, Performance Based Design, Model Validation and Verification, Pedestrian Dynamics, Virtual Reality, Transportation Engineering, Tunnel Safety.
Current research projects
Enrico has led a variety of research projects, including the e-Murray project on wildfire evacuation, the ForensicVR project on reconstruction in Virtual Reality of fire evacuation scenarios and the Building Egressibility in an ageing society project funded by the Swedish research funding agency FORMAS.